Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Consumption-sumption. What's your function?

In class on Monday, we discussed how media and technology are evolving and the impact of convergence. We had a discussion about how we are consuming more information than ever before and that we are using devices for more purposes than ever before. I connected this to what I learned at a technology in education conference that I attended on Friday. We watched the clip "Did You Know 2013" which includes a lot of interesting statistics involving media and technology in our world and some of them are shocking.

A fact that I found interesting from this video clip was that a WEEK'S WORTH of New York Times newspapers contains more information than a person from the 18th century would come across in a LIFETIME. This relates to the consumption of information of this day and age. News is so quickly spread through new media these days which can be both a blessing and a danger.

One of the keynote speakers used this clip in order to discuss how teachers are preparing students for jobs that do not exist yet because of the quickly evolving technological world we live in. We are preparing students for jobs using technologies that don't exist yet. The top ten in-demand jobs of 2010 DID NOT EXIST in 2004.  I thought that was such an interesting point. It is scary to think about...





No comments:

Post a Comment